Our strategy is focused on four key objectives:
Maintaining market leadership
IG Group's reputation, product range and robust trading platform have positioned the brand as the UK’s leading provider of spread betting and CFD-trading products. We divide our marketing effort between retaining existing clients and attracting new ones.
- Retaining and developing our existing client base. With an emphasis on customer service, innovation, competitive pricing and reliability, we anticipate and exceed our clients’ expectations with frequent product reviews and technological advances.
- Attracting new clients. We have complemented our range of in-house advertising initiatives – TV, outdoor, online and print – with an overhaul of our websites. We offer a fully supportive trading environment, with a range of educational resources for new clients.
- Targeting competitor clients. Our marketing strategy is geared towards attracting clients looking to switch provider, by highlighting our unrivalled reputation, product range and robust trading platform.
The Group is continuing to expand its non-UK client base and now has offices across 16 countries. We target new markets where we believe there is a sizeable long-term market opportunity for our businesses.
We evaluate our entry model on a case-by-case basis, depending on individual market conditions. We then deploy either a start-up, acquisition or partnership-based approach to our launch. In markets where we do not yet have a brand presence, we work with high-profile partners to establish our name.
The Group continually explores new-product options in order to further widen its global reach.
Innovation and technological advancement are the backbone of IG Group’s operations, and we have a number of firsts to our name:
- The world’s first spread betting company
- First company to offer financial spread betting on shares
- First online spread-betting platform
- Pioneers of binary betting
- First spread betting company to offer an iPhone-compatible trading platform
Our large, in-house IT team consistently delivers market–leading innovations, such as our new iPhone, BlackBerry and Android trading apps. We build bespoke, scalable solutions and react instantly to changes in the markets or regulations. Our monthly development release cycle allows us to get new ideas and products to the market quickly and efficiently.
We use third-party IT solutions to provide clients with cutting-edge software and information; including Reuters News, IT Finance charts and other market-data-analysis tools.
Internal and external monitoring
We have recently upgraded our internal and external systems. Our internal systems now provide better risk control and reporting, while our external, client-facing systems maintain their excellent dealing capabilities online and via mobile devices.
Maintaining excellent customer service
We proactively collect client feedback and have engaged in a wide-ranging programme of market research and consumer insight across our global markets. This enables the Group to continually refine our products and services to meet our clients’ needs.
Our clients receive the best possible prices, with no re-quotes. Price-improvement technology enables clients to benefit from a better price, if one is available, at the point of execution. We offer an interactive help and support portal on our site, along with a 24-hour telephone helpline, offering support to our global network around the clock.
IG Group offers a comprehensive education programme to support new and experienced traders at every stage. New clients can enrol on the six-week TradeSense programme, allowing them to learn the skills they need to trade effectively with smaller trade sizes.
As part of our marketing strategy, we have made it clear to clients that educational support is available at every stage of the client journey, and does not diminish after an initial ‘honeymoon’ period. We offer a wide range of free seminars that can be attended in person or watched on-demand.
Over the past year we have increased our analytical offering for both clients and non-clients. Being able to analyse the markets successfully is essential for traders - both in planning trades and reducing risk - and as such we offer daily market updates, a variety of technical analysis and a weekly economic calendar.